10 WAYS TO BE A GRACIOUS ACTOR





Last week, I was asked to step into a role.   I officially rehearsed for three hours over two days and then"unofficially" rehearsed on my own.  This was my second experience stepping into a role, and it's never easy.  But what does make the experience more digestible, is a gracious cast.  Going in, you may accidentally stand in someone else's spot on the stage, you may forget a line, you may miss a step, or not hit a right note...but what you hope for are gracious actors who will welcome you, guide you, and cover you if a misstep happens.  Thankfully, my first time at bat for this production went well.  I was able to begin my first day with a sense of calm because I had done my preparation, and I had a sense the cast was weighted with gracious actors.  

This leads me to further explore what gracious means.  Graciousness can be defined as: courteous, kind, and pleasant.  Graciousness is a state of being. 

In order to be gracious actors, we need to remember to :

1.  Be Humble and grateful. 

2. Encourage others.



3. Make others feel comfortable and appreciated.

4. Respect one another's contributions.

5. Watch your tongue.  Do not be spiteful or gossip.

6.  Work as a team and do not try to gain the spotlight.  

7.  Let everyone shine.  Recognize that every actor/part is important - despite the size.

8.  Cover each other.  Know your scenes well enough so you can cover another actor's line/solo if they forget.

9.   Be flexible to let a scene evolve.  Don't get upset if a fellow actor delivers a a line in a new or different way.  Allow some new "colors" to develop.

10.  Do not one up some one, be showy or pretend to be "better than thou."


To be a gracious actor is to be a conscious actor.  I encourage you to make the conscious decision to fill the rehearsal room, stage, or set with grace.   As a result, you and the people around you will be filled with gratitude.  Other actors and creatives will look forward to working with you another time and will hold you in high regard.  Set a goal to live a gracious life in everything you do.


Comments

Popular Posts