I THINK I CAN: THE LITTLE DANCER WHO COULD

I Think I Can - The Little Dancer That Could

It's always energizing to be surrounded by creativity. It makes your heart full - especially when you can create with friends and/or be awed by individualized or collaborative talents.   This past weekend, I, along with others, was asked to perform in my friend Beth Benge's metastatic breast cancer awareness benefit which involved dance, spoken word, information about metastatic breast cancer, and stories about her journey.  

The last time Beth hosted a benefit was two years ago.  She had already been diagnosed with breast cancer.   Unsteady,  she knew she didn't feel well ...but she didn't know what was ahead of her...a brain tumor.  Thanks to an adept surgeon, the tumor was removed, and she began rehabilitation, cyberknife, and an experimental treatment that delivers chemo directly to her brain and spine.  The number of people receiving this treatment in Texas is in the single digits.   At this year's benefit, Beth was able to dance and perform a sketch showing her journey of not being able to follow simple neurological tests like resisting pressure on your arm, rubbing your foot on your leg, and not being able to dance to triumphantly being able to dance and create again.   This year,  Beth has demonstrated her choreography to Nigel Lithgoe of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, attended their 10th anniversary, had a Travis Wall dance that he originally choreographed for his mom dedicated to her at the SYTYCD anniversary taping https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vIzi4vONao, and graced two dance classes - one with her  Los Angeles mentor, Hama www.hamadance.com, and one with friend, Bill Prudich http://www.edgepac.com/teachers/prudich_bill/prudich_bill.htm.




 Beth is "the little engine (dancer) that could."









Judy S.  who  attended Beth's event and inspired my thoughts on this blog stated:  "If you think you can, you can.."  i.e. don't let the can't sneak into your thinking... http://judywritesblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/so-you-think-you-can-dance.html?m=1

We all face challenges - some big, some small.   Keep creating, being, loving, living, hoping, teaching...and keep on saying:   "I think I can, I think I can."  You may have to tug and pull and tug and pull to get started and to keep your journey moving,  but if you keep tugging and pulling, you CAN make it over the hill...and think of the joy it will bring.   "I thought  could, I thought I could."  I think I can...and...I can...





Follow Beth on her blog:  http://www.bethdances.com/  and bid in a silent art auction in her benefit until October 24, 2015.  For more information contact:  Capital Fine Art Gallery is located at 1214 W. 6th St., Suite 105, Austin, TX --- For more information, please contact Jim Bollmeyer at (512) 628-1214 or at info@capitalfineart.com.  http://www.capitalfineart.com/



Comments

Popular Posts