AUDITION/PRE-PERFOMANCE JITTERS (Part 1) - SEVEN COMBAT TIPS






One of the things I love about acting/performing is the self challenge and the never ending goal to do my best job when I walk into the audition room, on the stage, or in front of the camera.   But let's face it, sometimes my best job doesn't happen - typically in singing auditions.   Luckily last night, I had a first round singing audition for a summer musical and was happy with it!

This caused me to reflect why was this audition more successful than others.  Here are the reasons:

  
1. The selected music cuts fit my voice.    
2.  I was comfortable and confident with the music & lyrics.
3.  I didn't feel like I was trying to be someone I wasn't (like an R & B singer or opera star).   
4.  I was not pulled in several different directions prior to the audition (I'm a mom). 
5.  I did not feel rushed leading up to the audition. 
6.  Events leading up to the audition or during the audition were not stressful (no delayed flight, no job interview or first day on the job prior to the audition, no fighting or needy kids, no pets demanding my emergency ambulance services , no handyman showing up late - as I needed to be walking out the door).

Number six (#6) was a big key to my success last night.  But like me, you might often wonder, "What can I do prior to/during an audition or performance when I find I am STRESSED OUT or  WOUND UP?" Here are seven combat tips: 

1.  Use Mantras and Positive Talk:  Refocus your energy on positive things. Use easy to remember similes or  phrases that rhyme.  "I'm as graceful as a gazelle and sing like Idina Menzel." Ensure that your mantra is positive; you don't want to subconsciously hold on to negative thoughts.

2.  Control What You Can Control:  You can't control that your plane is late and that you might not make your audition on time.  However, you can be aware of the delay and call your agent to inform them.  You can know your lines and be prepared for your audition or performance. 

3. Use Mental Imagery or Visualization:  Mental imagery, also known as visualization, involves imagining yourself successfully auditioning/performing.  For example if you have been in front of the casting director before, imagine the room, the camera, the casting director/creatives, and your reciting your lines or singing your song successfully.  Make sure that you are imagining from your own perspective as you were really there - not watching yourself audition or perform.  

4.  Use relaxation techniques:  If you are not relaxed, it is probable that you are experiencing an increased heart rate, tense muscles, and quick and/or shallow breathing (Yup - I've experienced these things). Two of the most common forms of relaxation are diaphragmatic breathing and progressive muscle relaxation.  Many people I know also swear by 4-7-8 breathing technique as described by Dr. Weil in one of the links below. 

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-5007/How-to-Practice-Diaphragmatic-Breathing.html

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/VDR00112/The-4-7-8-Breath-Benefits-and-Demonstration.html

http://www.anxietybc.com/sites/default/files/MuscleRelaxation.pdf

5.  Create Flexible Goals:  Setting good, great, and awesome goals is something I recently heard about.  A good goal is something you can achieve no matter what - like being prepared and giving 100%.   A great goal may be a personal best goal - I'm going to sing my song with good breath support, confidently, beautifully and accurately, and although there may be bigger voices in the audition room, I will be happy and grateful that I sang and gave a great personal audition.  An awesome goal is to book the job -You did a great job auditioning, and then, everything else comes together. You're the right age, the right look, have good chemistry with the creative team and other actors etc.

6.  Develop Self-Confidence:  Know what you bring to the table. Know there is no one else like you.  Know you CAN do it.  You are smart, talented, unique, and fabulous.  Focus on your past successes (not failures).  Enter and leave the performance space with confidence.  

7.  Be Resilient:  If you fall of your horse, get back on. Don't give up.  Remember the audition/performance jitter combat tips. Remember the goals you set.  Keep on truckin' until you meet them.  


Let me tell you the secret that has led to my goal. 
My strength lies solely in my tenacity.  
--Louis Pasteur (1822-1895)

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.   
--Winston Churchill (1874-1965)










Comments

Popular Posts